10.18.2009

Bayless does breakfast

If you're at all a fan of Rick Bayless, you've undoubtedly heard about his continued takeover of the corner of Clark and Illinois in Chicago, in the form of the wildly popular Xoco (sho-ko, if you ever want to say it out loud).  Yet another addition to his empire of Mexican cuisine, this outpost serves street food -- tortas, churros, caldos -- in a casual, laid-back atmosphere.  Order at the counter and your food is brought to your table, but be prepared to wait in line, outside if it's long enough.  That people have been willing to stand outside in 40-degree weather for over an hour just for an $8 sandwich is something of a testament unto itself.


(I linked that from the Tribune's review... read it here)


I managed to avoid the crowds and go for breakfast, around 9 (oh the benefits of vacation days).  Twice, actually.  The first time I ordered the chorizo egg torta.  I love breakfast, breakfast sandwiches, Mexican food, chorizo... this really couldn't have gone wrong, but my expectations were far surpassed.  Egg, chorizo, cheese, avocado, salsa, all smushed between halves of bread and crisped in the wood-fired oven.  And Intelligentsia coffee -- a great way to start the day.

The second day I knew I was in for a big lunch, so I took it easy, ordering yogurt with granola and fruit.  I can honestly say I was blown away by this yogurt, which is something to say about yogurt, which I eat pretty much every day. It's organic and grass-fed, from Farmer's Creamery.  Really the best, creamiest, most delicious yogurt I've ever had (unsweetened, of course).  Added to it is Mexican granola (cashews, a grain I presume to be millet, just sweet enough) and berries.  A much lighter and completely different, but equally delicious breakfast.


Oh, they also grind their own cacao beans for hot chocolate, in full view of the sidewalks on the corner.  Who can't love a place like that?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I didn't know that you went back again - good for you!