9.27.2009

An American in...

As I was lying in bed this morning a thought occurred to me -- there's really no reason why I can't do what David Lebovitz has done, namely, move to a new country, pay attention to what's going on around you, and write about it.  Of course, it helps if you happen to be a pastry chef with several cookbooks under your belt and are living in the country that defined the pastry, but it's not an entirely complicated concept.

I could do this.  I'd like start living a little more intentionally, not just floating through days but really appreciating what's going on around me.  This morning, I happened to be particularly grateful that it was drizzling, because despite my overall lack of sleep, there wasn't a throng of people with dogs and children standing outside on the corner at the Buttery, their barks, cries, and conversations keeping me even more awake on a Sunday morning.  It's time to start counting the little things.

To that end, maybe I don't have to go to a foreign country.  Of course, I'd love to (An American in Liguria wouldn't be a bad blog concept...), but really, can't I be an American in... America?  Who knows what I'll be doing a year from now, but at least I'll have paid attention to the changing landscape.

No comments: