9.25.2009

Gateau Therese


Late last week I got a nice surprise in my inbox -- my long wait to borrow David Lebovitz's "The Sweet Life in Paris" from the library had ended and I could come claim my book. This could not have come at a better time; I've been between books, trying to decide what to read next, and really needed something light and entertaining for the sake of my sanity.

That departure from reality came in the form of witty quips about the daily trials of being an American living in Paris, an observer from the outside. It also comes complete with numerous recipes I couldn't wait to try.

Hence, Wednesday is now cake and wine night. Gateau Therese, a chocolate cake, sounded delicious and simple, so much so that I needed to create an occasion to make it (not that I'm above making cake for myself).

I made the cake in a slightly larger loaf pan than suggested, but I don't think I lost anything aside from a few millimeters of the center (the best part). It was delicious: intensely chocolatey, not too sweet, and incredibly light despite its dense appearance, thanks to lots of egg whites. Perfect with a little whipped cream, or a big glass of milk.


I think I'll need to copy a few more recipes from this book before I return it. If you see it at a bookstore, I highly recommend paging through it; a very entertaining read and at least one great recipe (though I'm sure there are more).

If I'm going to perfect the art of something, it might have to be chocolate cake...

No comments: