9.20.2009

Epic fail to epic win

My friend had a party for her birthday last night, so I thought I'd make a cake. Still having yet to use my new bundt pan, this was a perfect opportunity. So I made the batter, baked, cooled, and flipped... tragically. Apparently I hadn't greased the pan enough because about a quarter of the cake remained in the pan. It was completely un-salvageable.



Or so I thought.

One is reminded of the wonder that is the internet when you can Google "bundt cake disaster" and actually come up with some usable results. "Leftover chocolate cake" was an even better search term and gave me a few viable options for my cake mess. I decided to go with a trifle.

Picking up a chunk of perfectly good cake and crumbling it in your hands is one of the more bizarre feelings I've experienced. It's kind of fun but yet feels so wrong. Anyway, cake crumbs layered with chocolate pudding, Heath bits, and amaretto-spiked whipped cream turns into a pretty great dessert. Really, it may have been better than the cake alone (but really, what's not better with whipped cream and toffee) and was a hit at the party, even if it was a little more utensil-intensive than I had planned. Score one for ingenuity!

No comments: